best location for echo 100 >? (ipw2200 always fails to load during boot in 2.6.1[2|3], and sometimes in manual modprobe)

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Wed Oct 19 11:05:28 UTC 2005

I think it worked during boot on 2.6.11 kernel, while i had it for a
couple of boots before i overwrote it. Yesterday, i tried it again on
.11, and also got a similar error to below. It never worked in 2.6.12, and
.13.

I have done
echo 100 > /sys/class/firmware/timeout
but i have a feeling, there is a better place to put it. I placed it in
rc.sysinit (first at the end, then in the beginning, then in the middle,
before interface modules are loaded). Failures continue during boot.

Where exactly should this command go in start-up scripts? A guy on
ipw2100-devel suggested to ask on FC list, although i think it shouldn't
really be that distro-dependent.

The errors i usually get on 2.6.13 are:

firmware_loading_store: unexpected value (0)
ipw-2.3-bss_ucode.fw load failed: Reason -2

The first line isn't there sometimes.

As a temporary work-around i'm thinking about modprobe -r and modprobe in
rc.local, but i think it will fail sometimes as well, same as manual. I
think manual modprobe sometimes fails because modprobe follows modprobe
-r too quickly, so maybe the fix for manual modprobe is to have a wait
before it, in which case the same might be needed for rc.local. But i
really don't feel good about hard-coded wait intervals.

I probably need to get a debug build of the kernel, and maybe some more
info will be dumped in messages. I'm also trying upgrading the kernel,
as the same guy said that should fix the timeout problems.

P.S. This is on FC4.

Thanks for any feedback.