Login screen not showing up

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:46:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 04:25, Michael Lai wrote:
> >> it should do.  do you have an X server running where your ssh'ing
> >> from?  maybe you need ssh -X or ssh -Y to ensure X will be tunneled?
> >>

> > Actually, I am using putty from Windows XP.
> >
> And no, I don't have cygwin.

Note that if you did have cygwin X running in
Xwin -multiwindow mode, you could let putty tunnel
a single application window back to you just like
if you were ssh'ing from another Linux box.  Or if
you run gdmconfig and enable XDCMP logins you can
run Xwin -query linux_server and get a full graphic
login and desktop.  This may not be exactly what
you are trying to do at this point but they are
very usable options when you can't be at the Linux
console and want to run a graphic application.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com