removing, installing kernel modules without rebooting

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 1 22:45:50 UTC 2005

playing around with my iPod - I found a site that slightly messed me up.

iPod using firewire...

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
uhci_hcd               35025  0
sbp2                   25289  8
sd_mod                 20289  1
scsi_mod              146313  2 sbp2,sd_mod
ieee1394              303545  1 sbp2
ohci_hcd               26081  0
ehci_hcd               40013  0

and snipped out everything else since I don't think that they pertain...

unmounted and unplugged iPod (I did have it working previously).

# modprobe -rv sbp2 usb_storage sd_mod ieee1394
FATAL: Module sbp2 is in use.

# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/ipod
mount: special device /dev/sdb2 does not exist

That's what I get now. This is after I used the mount and unmount
scripts from this page...

http://www.ipodlinux.org/Mounting_on_Linux

Any way to fix this without rebooting?

Craig