Using yum to install all sources

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Sep 2 01:51:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 11:32 -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there easy way to install the sources for all the packages that I have on
> my system? Anyway to use yum for this, or should I donwload the SRPMS iso ?
> If I download the SRPMS iso, how do I install the sources ? Should I just
> "rpm -ivh *.src.rpm"  or something like that ?

That is the usual method to install in the default location.
Installing all the sources will take more space than the installed
binaries, and likely will be used very little.

> One more questions, what's the different between the -devel package
> and .src.rpm (ie. srpms) package ?

The -devel package has all the needed headers for compiling against the
source.  For example, the kernel-devel package has all the headers
needed to compile 3rd party kernel modules such as video drivers,
ndiswrapper, etc.

OTOH, the .src rpm has ALL the source files and is usually orders of
magnitude larger.  Unless you are compiling from scratch you should not
need the src rpm. The -devel package will do well for most cases.