No Sound with kernel upgrade

bbales bbales at cox.net
Fri Sep 2 20:47:54 UTC 2005

I am using FC3 and kernel 2.6.12-1.1376 and an Intel i82801 sound chip and
I can't get sound working.  Everything looks like it is working, but no
sound.

xmms gives notice:
	Please check that your soundcard is configured properly
	You have the correct output plugin.
	No other program is blocking the sound card.
and then shows the xmms window with a very active audio band display.

How does one configure a sound card?

play <song.wav> gives
	sox: can't open output file '/dev/dsp': device or resource busy

This can't hardly be true.  This was the first thing I did after boot.

I've looked at alsamixer, aumixer and amixer to be sure none is muted.

Since sound played before I updated from the 2.6.9 kernel, and it still
works with knoppix, I'm sure the hardware is OK.

kudzu and /etc/sysconfig/hwconf indicate that the hardware has been
recognized and a driver  (snd-intel8x0) assigned.

We no longer have sndconfig, although I don't know that it would help here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
bruce