Print jobs not printing thru cups

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Sep 3 15:17:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:57:58AM +0800, Michael Lai wrote:
> I am running Fedora 4, linux version: 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4, with
> cups-1.1.23-15.1.
>
> I have two printers:
>
> HP LaserJet4L (via serial)    and
> HP LaserJet1300 (via usb)
>
> My main problem is with my LaserJet1300.  When I initially added the
> printer, all my print jobs sent to LaserJet1300 were printed with no
> problem.  Then last week I noticed that some print jobs were not
> printing and I had to start the print job a couple of times before it
> would actually print.  Then starting a couple of days ago, none of the
> print jobs sent to that printer would print anymore and all the
> application (ie MS Word) that started the print job would hang.  This
> didn't happen before.
> I configured my cups through system-config-printer.  For the
> LaserJet1300, I am using the Postscript driver.  I set the log level to
> debug and I am attaching it here for analysis.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I will give you an extreme answer. Rename system-config-printer so no
one will ever use it again. Before than delete all your printers using
that application. And define all your printers using either the Cups
web interface at localhost:631 or use the cups commands  lpadmin and
lpoptions. From the web interface your can find the CUPS User and CUPS
administration manuals. Read them and you printing will be much better
and easier to deal with.

I can't think about that.  It doesn't go with HEDGES in the shape of
LITTLE LULU -- or ROBOTS making BRICKS ...
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484