FC4: where did ghostview & xview go?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Sep 4 12:04:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 10:44:18PM -0700, David L wrote:
> I recently upgraded to FC4 and haven't been able to find ghostview or xview
> in the standard installation or in extras.  Have they been retired?  Are
> there good replacements?  I tried kview instead of xview and it took about
> 15 seconds to open a jpg the first time I used it and then about 4 seconds
> the next time.  The same file used to load with xview in less than a second.
>
> Thanks...
>
>              David
Ghostview (or gv) has disappeared and in its place we have evince the
universal file viewer. But if you look around you can find an rpm for
gv that will work. If you can't find one let me know and I will put it
somewhere where you can get it. In the meantime use evince.

Someday somebody has got to decide whether the typewriter is the machine,
or the person who operates it.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University