Is Linux better than Windows for large fonts?

Simon Bone sf.bone at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 7 20:27:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 10:53 -0400, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I like to set the font sizes on my displays to extra-large, so I can
> read them easily. On W2K, I set the font size to 150% - but this garbles
> many applications (text gets clipped, etc). I've never had a similar
> problem on Fedora.
>
> Is there a particular reason why large font handling seems to be better
> in linux?

Most of the GUI development tools for linux use relative placements, and
resize to fit. On windows, there are a lot of legacy tools that don't
offer this, but most modern toolkits do.

It is more a reflection of the younger age of most linux GUI
applications than anything else. Although, arguably these things get
stress tested by linux users far more effectively than in non-open
source development.

Try using applications that use older toolkits on linux (say Athena or
Motif based apps). Many of them show the same problems in my experience.
But fortunately, most have been replaced for practical use.

Regards

Simon Bone