FC4 Networking Problem

Michael Lai ml at michael.lai.name
Fri Sep 9 07:52:27 UTC 2005

CHAT KHODA wrote:

>Hi friends,
>Here is a new and srange problem(maybe just for me!)
>in FC4 netwroking.
>I have a FC4 web server in my office serving company's
>website (connected to ISP1) and we have no problem
>with our website when we try to retrieve pages from
>inside the company and remote locations(by using the
>same ISP as office).
>But sometimes ,just some times,we lose our
>connectivity to this server ,no ping no ssh etc.
>during this situation the only solution is pinging a
>remote host like google from FC4 console and pinging
>all of the hosts using ISP1 will not solve the
>problem!.
>When my colleague in office ping the google it starts
>pinging after one packet lost and we will have no
>problem.
>Thus,What exactly is this problem ? something related
>to ISP1 ? to FC4 ? Hardware?
>Thank you for any comment.
>Regards,

Not sure if this applies to you but the ISP I am using needs to be
pinged periodically to keep the connection alive.  Otherwise, it would
drop non-active users.  My ISP specifically told me this when I signed
up with it.  The only reason I say this is because when you start
pinging, your connection would come alive again which is very similar to
my situation.  Without seeing your actual network, I see no other
factors that can affect your internet connection like this.  You can try
different network configuration to eliminate the possibilities though.
For example, if you suspect if it is a Fedora problem (which I doubt),
you can connect a windows machine on your network and see if its
connection dies as well.

What I did was write a simple script that would regularly ping my ISP
and my internet connection has been fairly stable.