Have I been hacked? Shadow file deleted

Michael Yep myep at remotelink.com
Fri Sep 9 18:07:17 UTC 2005

What type of an install did you do?  Full?
Did you do yum updates?
Do you run tripwire, or any other auditing tools?
Is the machine wide open to the net?
Do you have the firewall turned on?
See anything unusual in any logs, last, who, uptime, lsof, netstat ?

you can also do something like this
[root at localhost ~]# cat trip
MHFILE=$HOSTNAME-`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`.md5
SHFILE=$HOSTNAME-`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`.sha1
ZFILE=$HOSTNAME-`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`.zip
FLIST=flist-`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`
/bin/echo "1/4 Building file list . . ."
/usr/bin/find /bin /boot /etc /lib /misc /mnt /net /opt /root /sbin /srv
/usr /var -type f > /root/$FLIST
/bin/echo "2/4 MD5 Hashing . . ."
/bin/cat /root/$FLIST | /usr/bin/xargs /usr/bin/md5sum > /root/$MHFILE
/bin/echo "3/4 SHA1 Hashing . . ."
/bin/cat /root/$FLIST | /usr/bin/xargs /usr/bin/sha1sum > /root/$SHFILE
/bin/echo "4/4 Zipping . . ."
/usr/bin/zip /root/$ZFILE $MHFILE $SHFILE $FLIST
/bin/rm $MHFILE $SHFILE $FLIST
/bin/echo "Done"

to create hash sets of a clean installed system
then when you suspect a problem you can see what files have been added,
removed or changed