Wi-Fi IP bridging

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 20:33:39 UTC 2005

I'm doing some wireless networking, going by a diagram at
<http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-330g/ethernet.jpg>.

I have the WL-330g connected to the hub, as in the topmost diagram, and
am trying to get the correct configuration.

The Asus Wireless Settings software gives the following info:

Association state:      Associated
Network type:           Infrastructure
SSID:                   SMC
Encryption:             Disabled
MAC address:            ############
IP address:             192.168.2.1

however, the manual, file e1539_wl-330g.pdf,
 states in section "1.5.2 Ethernet Adapter Mode":

"Multiple IP bridge environment

In a multiple IP bridge environment the Asus Pocket Wireless AP
connects two or more wired devices to a wireless network from
a hub or switch.

You must disable the MAC cloning feature when you set the device
to Ethernet adapter mode under this environment. Enabling MAC
cloning under this environment results to undefined and incorrect
bridge behaviour.
------------------------------------------------------------------"

I left out the MAC address above, but MAC cloning is enabled
in this situation, presumabely resulting in "undefined and incorrect
bridge behaviour."

There's a review of the router at
<http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-19-ProdID-SMC7004VWBR.php>,
but when I talked to SMC this morning they assured me that the
problem has been isolated to the Asus WL-330g, because the router
does IP bridging.

This makes sense, in that I'm not at all sure what settings
the WL-330g should be at nor really "how" to change the settings.
I un-select the box for MAC cloning, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any and all thoughts welcome :)