ftp download of FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Sep 12 06:16:17 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 14:06 -0700, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> On Sunday 11 September 2005 03:56, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dennis:
> > >
> > > md5sum is known to be broken in FC4.
> >
> > What? Since when? Bugzilla reference?
>
> Hi Paul:
> Several instances in the archives for both Fedora and
> Fedora-Testing.  These included advice to skip the install CD/DVD check which
> were causing much trouble.  Goes clear back to FC2.

Can't find any after a quick check. Mediacheck has been broken for ages
but that's an issue with the IDE CD-ROM driver, not with the md5sum
program.

> > > Use sha1sum instead.  That's why it shows sha1sum, not md5sum.
> >
> > My understanding was that sha1sum was simply a better, more secure
> > algorithm and that was why FC4 uses that in preference to md5sum (i.e.
> > the checksums provided are sha1sums, not md5sums).
> >

> Maybe they finally got it "working right" in FC4.  When I tried it on FC4t2 it
> failed but sha1sum worked fine.

Failed doing what?

You do know that md5sum and sha1sum are different algorithms that
produce different results for the same input data, i.e. if SHA1
checksums are provided, you *must* use sha1sum, not md5sum to verify
them, and if MD5 checksums are provided, you *must* use md6sum, not
sha1sum to verify them, right?

> P.S. - What is city-fan?

Fan of Manchester City Football Club here in the UK.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>