File Modification While Tar is in Progress

Manish Kathuria manish at tuxspace.com
Mon Sep 12 07:36:28 UTC 2005

I am using tar to take backups of multiple files and directories and
some of the files are about 500Mb. What happens when archiving of a
large file using tar (plus compression switches) is in progress and the
file is altered by some other program ? What do I need to do to make
sure that my archive is not corrupted ? For example, the large file in
question could be an IMAP mailbox on a Mail Server where I cannot afford
to stop either the MTA or the IMAP server to prevent the file from
getting altered.

Thanks,

Manish Kathuria