Antivirus

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 16:51:54 UTC 2005

Marcus Zingmark wrote:
> I guess this can become a big question of opinion but, wich Antivirus
> software is the top of the notch? If I want something with a nice gui
> that's userfriendly, of course, often updated virus definitions and at
> last, without any costs?!

For Linux?

There's not much point to having an anti-virus program to stop Linux
viruses. There aren't enough of them, and to the best of my knowledge,
they all exploited security holes in the OS. Keep up to date with
updates, and you should be all right.

(Note: I haven't been keeping close track, but the only exploits against
Fedora installations that have been reported here have been because
people have installed web applications that have been insecure).

No, the reason for having antivirus on Linux is to scan e-mails,
fileshares, or web proxies. All of those are (normally) configured with
a command line, and you'd have to use a command line to set them up.
Once they're set up, there's next to no need for a UI anyway.

With that in mind, I've been finding clamav to be as good as anything
else I've seen for frequency of updates and reliability.
http://www.clamav.net , http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html , or see
Fedora Extras.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Important note: when washing your brain out with
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | nitric acid, it is important to stop *after* you've