USB mouse problems (mouse strts working only when i start the network conf program)

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 16:30:11 UTC 2005

Harikumar Krishnan wrote:
> i have installed an fc4 64 bit on my 64 bit amd system... Everything seems
> to be fine. nut the onlt problem is the usb optical wheel mouse iam
> having... the mouse isnt detected at the login screen or if enter kde.. But
> it is detected and strts workin fine when i start the network confiuration
> program... thats 'system-config-network ' I dont understand whats happening.
> The mouse stays there even if i logoff.. until i restart the machine
> again.... Friends please send in ur ideas and suggestions on this...

My USB mouse is working fine on my AMD64 system.

Can you run
grep mice /etc/X11/xorg.conf
which should return
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

What happens if you unplug the mouse and then plug it back in again?

Otherwise, I'd suggest it's an oddity in the chipset:
system-config-network must poke it in such a way that it detects USB.

Can you run
tail -f /var/log/messages
(as root)
and then run system-config-network (from another window), and see if
anything gets added to the end of /var/log/messages?

Are you fully up to date on patches?

What does
/sbin/lspci | grep USB
return?

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "A remote is a *great* thing. It lets you be in charge.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | It gives you control. Even if it's just for something