what is the fastest fedora/redhat distribution on a PII 300 Mhz, 196MB RAM laptop?

John Bray jmblin at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 20:26:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 02:11 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Considering the size of memory, I'd say RH9.
> FC1 was too buggy (in my eyes)
> FC2 and 3 were too heavy to be used with 196MB. (I have a similar laptop
> with 256MB)
> However, be advised that using such an old distro is a major security
> risk.
>
> Another interesting option is CentOS 2.1 / RHEL 2.1.
> Both are still supported and should perform fairly close to RH9.
>
> Gilboa
>
> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 13:16 -0700, malahal at us.ibm.com wrote:
> > I don't need any new features. Anything from RedHat7.3 and up should be
> > fine for me.

you know, i have an old toshiba 300mHz p2 laptop.  only 96 mb of memory,
and i've been playing around with puppy linux.  so far, it seems to run
quite nicely.  and has a remarkable number of packages available for it.

you might give it a try.  it has an almost live cd -- you can also have
it store some of it's data on a fat32 or ext2 drive, so it start's up
faster from then on.

john