Problem with hard drive I think. How do I run fsck properly?

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Wed Sep 14 23:39:52 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 18:45, Craig White wrote:
> > If your drive/controller support smart try smartctl and check your drive
> > that way.
> > Also run dmesg and look in /var/log/messages for the complete output of
> > your messages.
>
> ----
> afaik - smart doesn't work on scsi drives

>From the man page of smartctl:

DESCRIPTION
       smartctl  controls the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technol-
       ogy (SMART) system built into many ATA-3 and later ATA, IDE and  SCSI-3
       hard  drives.

Smartctl is even able to probe devices inside a 3ware raid.
Unfortunately scsi smart support is not as common as ide smart...

Peter.