Mail Services

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Sep 15 01:51:04 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 15.09.2005 schrieb Randall J. Berry um 3:08:

> Thanks Alex,

You are welcome.

> What would you recomend for a pop server? I've fooled around with
> Exim/Sendmail/Postfix before and I am leaning toward Exim but as for POP
> servers I've not tried one yet to become familure. I'm not sure which
> one I should use I've done some brief searches and found a few
> possibilities but have not installed any yet as I'm still undecided.

Well, it depends on your needs (wishes) and the amount of mail to handle
on local mail server. I like the power of Cyrus-IMAPd (available through
Fedora Extras). It is a bit more complicated to configure. Fedora Core
ships dovecot, which is an improvement to the old uw-imapd. dovecot is
small and a good choice for smaller or mid-range mail storage/access
servers. If you choose to store in Maildir format even a bit larger
mailboxes can be quick.

Alexander

Serendipity 03:46:46 up 24 days, 30 users, load average: 0.45, 0.24,
0.22