How to know ip address from mac

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 15 12:29:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 19:19 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been checking our network traffic using iptraf, and it seems that a
> client is consuming high bandwidth. Unfortunately, iptraf only shows the mac
> address.
> Can I get the ip address from the mac address?
> I don't use dhcp so I cannot use dhcpreport.pl --mac.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | http://linux2.arinet.org
> 19:19:17 up 4:47, 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 GNU/Linux
> public key: https://www.arinet.org/fajar-pub.key

ethereal with some kind of MAC filter.  If it is not broadcast traffic
the IP address should be evident.  If it is broadcast or some other non-
IP traffic the process gets more difficult.  Depending on the network
equipment in your network, you may be able to dump the MAC tables in the
router(s) to find the IP address, or dump the MAC tables in the switches
to find the offenders port.  The latter is very tedious, as the MAC
address will appear in every switch, but only associated with a user
port in one.

Bob...