FC4 error?

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Fri Sep 16 15:45:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just deleted all old partitions, created new partitions and installed a
fresh FC4 system.  The installation did not show any error.  After the
installation, I reboot it.  During the booting process, I saw an error message
after "Setting hostname xxx: [OK]" as:

Setting up Logical Volume Management: /var/lock mkdir failed, read-only
filesystem

Then, other booting processes pass through. Now, the system is running, I can
access it using ssh, httpd is working.  However, when I start dovecot (I did
not change /etc/dovecot.conf), it failed:

# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
Starting Dovecot Imap:                                     [FAILED]

I turn the service dovecot on, then reboot.  I saw the error message as above
and the new error:

Starting service dovecot failed: can't use SSL certificate ...
/etc/pki/dovecot/dovecot.pem permission denied

(it went through so fast that I can't catch all the words).  If I start
dovecot manually, it is ok:

# /usr/sbin/dovecot
# ps xa | grep dov
 2622 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/dovecot
 2624 ?        S      0:00 dovecot-auth

The system logs don't show anything related to dovecot, nor the message
".../var/lock mkdir failed..."

I update the kernel from 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 to 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4, reboot, but
got the same error messages as before.

Can somebody tell me what's wrong with the installation and the system?  Are
the above two error messages related each other?  Will the error "/var/lock
mkdir failed" cause any other problems?

If I turn off selinux, then I can start service dovecot:

# setenforce 0
# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
Starting Dovecot Imap:                                     [  OK  ]

and it creates an entry /var/lock/subsys/dovecot.  However, when I reboot the
system, the same problems and errors show up again.  It seems that it is
related to selinux.  I am using targeted, enforcing selinux and has the policy
selinux-policy-targeted-1.23.16-6 installed from the FC4 CDs.

How to solve the problem?  Thanks a LOT!

Hongwei Li