xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Ted Kaczmarek tedkaz at optonline.net
Sat Sep 17 14:49:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 16:28 +0200, sguazt sguazt wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have a similar problem.
>
> This morning I updated my laptop (Dell Latitude D505) with last fc4 updates,
> i.e. xorg-x11, qt-devel, dia.
>
> After those (and after restarting X) X crashed (and the screen too).
> Usually I boot into init 3 and then I "startx" X (with enlightenment as a
> wm).
> After those updates every time I try to start-X the screen crash; I press
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but the screen is always corrupted (i.e. I don't see the
> textual console) and the only way I can restore it is by typing reboot (or
> poweroff) 8-|
>
> My graphics chipset is the Intel i855GM.
>
> The bad thing for me is that probably this week I have to give up to a Quake
> match :((((
>
> Any help is appreciated!!
>
> Thanks guys!!

[tazman at pluto ~]$ rpm -qa | grep xorg-x11
xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-xauth-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-tools-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-twm-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
xorg-x11-xfs-6.8.2-37.FC4.45

I am not having any issues, so try to rpm -e the deprecated one.
Sager DP4760, radeon.

Regards,
Ted