xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 05:17:36 UTC 2005

Francois Massonneau wrote:

>On Saturday 17 September 2005 16:45, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Thank you so much.
>This list is so helpful,
>Thank you Jim for your reply. It solved my problem immediately.
>Francois

No problem, I'm glad the comments helped you out. I was hit by X
problems since phoebe2 beta. X is so complicated, it breaks frequently.
Using rpm with the --oldpackage  option works fairly decent to recover.

As a comment, I tried xorg-x11 on one of my FC3 systems with an Intel
815 chipset and it worked without problems.  The same reason for
patching X on FC4 was the same reason X was upgraded for FC3 (security
patch)
I have yet to upgrade the system to FC4 yet. I do have a development
version on the same system that X works on. The version of X is newer
than what FC4 had and seemed to not have problems. It of course does not
get the security patches like the released FC3 and FC4 do. Why FC3 X
works, development X works and FC4 X is giving troubles seems a mystery
to me.

Anyway, I plan on upgrading the FC3 system to FC4 shortly to test out
FC4 on an Intel 815 chipset. I am glad that I read the comments on the
list regarding the problems encountered with later Intel video cards. I
have a computer with an Intel 865G which is a server and will hold back
for awhile until this FC4 xorg-x11 is solved. The machine is not on the
Internet so security is less of an issue.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.