Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

David Becker dbecker at online.nl
Sun Sep 18 14:18:28 UTC 2005

Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>>Am Di, den 13.09.2005 schrieb Reshat Sabiq um 22:42:
>>

>>>Anyway, i'll send them out later tonight: what i said there is that i got
>>>STX to work.
>>>
>>>My main questions now are:
>>>1. Does built-in mike work on Pro 4000? Are there any tricks i could try
>>>to get it to work on STX?
>>
>>My Philips webcam's microphone is recognized.
>
> What's the model? Were you actually able to use it in an app like Gnome
> Meeting?

I also have a working Philips webcam (PCVC740K). Microphone is
recognized, it works in Gnomemeeting and I also use it with 'motion'.
The drivers used to a bit of a hassle, especially the decompressor
routines, but support has increased at http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/

You'll probably not be able to find this webcam anymore, at least not
new. Bear in mind that the advertised 1280x960 is interpolated and I've
only got this resolution in Windows. I even suspect the 640x480 to be
interpolated, but I'm not sure. In Windows I can get a maximum of 60fps
(at low resolutions). In linux the max is 30fps.

You may also want to pay attention to whether the webcam is CCD or CMOS
based. This Philips is CCD based, has a somewhat higher light
sensitivity than comparable CMOS based webcams and this particular model
is apparently much appreciated for astro photography (something I'd like
to try out one of these days).

	David