authconfig retry=3

Richard Emberson remberson at edgedynamics.com
Sun Sep 18 17:11:06 UTC 2005

The authconfig executable has the number of password attempts hardcoded
within it:

 > strings /usr/sbin/authconfig | grep retry
retry=3

Running authconfig generates the /etc/pam.d/system-auth file (with
retrys=3).
Question: how do I instruct, configure, or otherwise organize my system
so that
the number of retries is, say, 2.
The system-auth file is regenerated everytime that authconfig is run, so
that
hand editing system-auth while possible will be overridden next time
authconfig is run - with all edits lost.

Richard

may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
copies of the original message.