Multimedia problem

Deepak Shrestha d8888pak at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 15:21:38 UTC 2005

--- "Gaber,M" <mohamed_mGaber at hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi
> i have installed a XMMS on a fedora core 4 ,
> it tells me that the plugin for mp3 is not available
> due to it was removed
> from red hat official.
> i still couldn't get it to work.

Since xmms is dependent on “libmikmod” its better to
install xmms through yum which will install dependent
modules too
1) So first thing to do is to install the xmms using
“yum”
# yum -y install xmms
it will install xmms and dependent module “libmikmod”
too.
2) Now download the mp3, wma plugins (rpms from
freshrpms) and xmms skins(rpms from freshrpms) and
install them
e.g.
# rpm -ivh xmms-mp3.........

> also with the vedio paying. avi's & asf's
> i've tried up2date but it tells me that packages
> aren't available..

I am using mplayer for playing movies (mpg, wma etc.)
and quite satisfied with it. before installing
mplayer, look for these packages from freshrpms
(http://stentz.freshrpms.net/)
[note: all these packages are required plus more for
mplayer to work]

aalib-1.4-2.rc5.rhfc4.at.i386.rpm
lame-3.96.1-2.2.fc4.i386.rpm
libdvdcss-1.2.9-1.2.fc4.i386.rpm
libdvdread-0.9.4-7.2.fc4.i386.rpm
libmad-0.15.1b-3.2.fc4.i386.rpm
libpostproc-1.0-0.16.pre7.2.fc4.i386.rpm
libXvMCW-0.9.3-1.2.fc4.i386.rpm
mplayer-1.0-0.16.pre7.2.fc4.i386.rpm
mplayer-docs-1.0-0.17.pre7.2.fc4.x86_64.rpm
mplayer-fonts-1.1-3.fc.noarch.rpm
mplayer-skins-1.7-1.fc.noarch.rpm
xvidcore-1.0.3-1.2.fc4.i386.rpm

additional three libraries were still not there i
freshrpms when I installed my mplayer in my FC4 so I
installed through yum

# yum -y install fribidi (for libfribidi)
# yum -y install lzo (for liblzo)
# yum -y install lirc (for liblirc)

---------
Hope this might be helpful