Inel Wireless 2915ABG & FC4 on Dell Inspiron 9300

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Sep 19 21:03:33 UTC 2005

Linux wrote:
> Hi all,
> Have tried a couple of other linux distro's for a while, but have to go
> back  to Fedora C4 :-)
>
> I have read a couple of pages on the net  about this card, but i was
> hoping for an easyer solution, since my card is detected in the hardware
> browser in KDE
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop, and is getting a problem with my
> Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection miniPCI adapters. Running
> FC4 with all updates & latest kernel at the time of writing.
>
> I can see the card in the hardware browser, but when i try to add it in
> the network setup i can not get it to work. The message says it can not
> activate it. In the network setup it is detected as a regular network
> card and not a wireless...
>
> The WiFi indication light is also not working, but the bluetooth
> indicator is lighting up, so it should be activated. (those are turned
> on and of together)

Does "lsmod" show the ipw2200 driver as being loaded?  That's required
for that card.  If it's not loaded, try "modprobe ipw2200", then see if
"ifconfig -a" shows a "wlan0" entry (the name for the wireless card).
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -