FC3 - Keymapping in console mode "spontaneously" changed :(

Steven P. Ulrick lists at afolkey2.net
Tue Sep 20 07:40:33 UTC 2005

Hello, Everyone
As far as I know, the only change that I have made to my system recently was
installing the openmotif updates (which I have since uninstalled, and then
reinstalled the previous versions)
The problem is as follows: if I enter into non-graphical mode (console / ctrl
alt f1-f6) the mappings of the following keys are messed up:
~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = \
[ ]
; '
, . /
f1 f2 f3 f4 f5
y z

In the above mentioned mode, those keys now produce the following output:

KEY	Correct	Incorrect
~	~ `		~ ^
2	2 @		2 “
4	4 $		4 #
6	6 ^		6 @
7	7 &		7 /
8	8 *		8 (
9	9 (		9 )
0	0 )		0 =
-	- _		\ ?

[	[ {		@ \
]	] }		+ *
;	; :		[ {
'	' "		] }
z	z Z		y Y
y	y Y		z Z

F1	A
F2	B
F3	C
F4	D
F5	E

My regular user password contains a "y"  As a result, I cannot login as myself
into console mode.  My root password does not contain any x's, y's or any of
the other problematic keys shown above.
I am typing this email, using kmail, logged into KDE (branch 3.5) on the same
system that I am having this problem with.  As you can see from the fact that
I was able to type up the chart that you see above, if I am in X, the keyboard
works as expected.  It is only when I do "ctrl | alt | f1-f6" that the
problem occurs.  In fact, "alt f7" USED to take me back to X, but now I have
to hit "alt f8"

My keyboard layout (in kcontrol) is listed as Generic 104-key PC, which is
correct.  Just to be sure, I am now going to reboot (Sob :() and see what
happens.......

Well, now everything works fine.  But if any of you have any ideas about what
went wrong, I would be glad to know.  Because I should not have had to reboot
to fix this.

Have a Great Day,
Steven P. Ulrick