GDM setup after update + Xorg update;

StarQuake starquake at tiscali.nl
Tue Sep 20 14:51:50 UTC 2005

Mirco Scara wrote:
> Hello again,
> It seems as if I can't stop posting questions/problems since yesterday
> but that's the way it's going a the moment with all these new broken
> updates and fixes.
> I incurred into a new problem with the new Login screen which after
> being updated (GDM update from NRPMS) has completely stopped responding.

Are you aware of the fact that nrpms repository is filled with bleeding
edge rpms? Maybe you would be better off using their mailing list.

Just in case :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=bleeding%20edge

> I tried to execute various commands related to GDM in
> the /usr/bin /usr/sbin directories and after a while I managed to get a
> new login screen with blank background and a plain login window which
> displayed the following message:

Various commands? Could you name them or try posting the output of the
command 'history'

> CONFIGURATION IS NOT CORRECT:
> THE CONFIGURATION FILE CONTAINS AN INVALID COMMAND LINE. THE LOGIN
> DIALOG SO RUNNING THE DEFAULT COMMAND. PLEASE FIX YOUR CONFIGURATION.
>
> What does that mean. Where is this configuration file?
> I managed to change the login screen after executing the
> command /usr/bin/gdm restart but in the configuration window I found no
> invalid command line.
> After doing this all my icons reverted to default and all my keyboard
> shortcuts stopped responding.
> I then rebooted the machine and the login screen had gone back to the
> default blue screen.
> How am I to correct this?

Is there still a problem then? Do you only want the plain login? Try
running gdmsetup as root.

> The other question is:
>
> Can anyone let us know as soon as possible when the fix for the Xorg
> update is gonna be released?

Again, if the update comes from nrpms, you should probably try nrpms
mailing list.

> Thanks a lot

I hope at least I helped you a _little_ bit. :D

> Mirco

StarQuake
--
for some how-to's and rpms visit my site    : http://solid.bounceme.net