Screen Saver Not Funny

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV charletiv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 23:36:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:41 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

[BSOD screensaver]

> It is a lot funnier after you realize that the crash screens are
> from other operating systems, not Linux...

Not so fast.  "man bsod" shows:

"bsod steps through a set of screens, each one a recreation of a
different failure mode of an operating system.  Systems depicted
include Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows NT, MS-DOS, AmigaDOS 1.3,
Linux, SCO UNIX, BSD UNIX, HPUX, Solaris, VMS, HVX/GCOS6,  IBM  OS/390,
MacOS (MacsBug, Bomb, Sad Mac, and OSX), Atari ST, Apple ][+, and NCD X
Terminals."

You can also use the preview option under Preferences/screensaver to see
the Linux "crash".

For me, it was creepy to see a Guru Meditation error on my Linux box. :)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <charletiv at gmail.com>