mounting floppy in read/write mode by user

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Sep 21 14:36:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 07:39:41AM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 20:42 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> > > How did you mount it?  There are 2 forms of the command.  One uses the
> > > fstab entry and works as a user and one does not.
> > >
> > > If you use the form "mount <mountpoint>" the mount command looks at the
> > > entry in fstab and a standard user on the console should be able to
> > > mount it.  I use "mount /media/floppy" and it works.
> > >
> > > If instead you use the long form "mount <device> <mountpoint>" it also
> > > requires the "-t" option to specify the filesystem type "mount -t
> > > without the "-t" gives the error you see.  With the "-t" it will tell
> > > you that only root can mount (unless you are already root).  Note that
> > > as root you often do not need the -t, this seems to be part of the
> > > security features built into the mount command for verifying privileges
> > > for a user.
> > What you are saying is interesting but counter to my previous
> > experience. If user is not on the /media/floppy line it has never
> > before in my experience been possible for a normal user to mount a
> > floppy using any command at all. What you are saying is in at variance
> > with the statements in man-page of  fstab.
> >
> > However, I can't argue that is is not working at this time for me on
> > both my FC4 machines but not for the poster of the original message.
> > That is certainly strange.
>
> I am not sure what you are seeing.  I just repeated the test on my
> system (FC4, fully updated) with these results.
>
> [jeff at eagle ~]$ mount /media/floppy
> [jeff at eagle ~]$ ls /media/floppy
> aspi2dos.sys  autoexec.bat  drvspace.bin  findramd.exe  oakcdrom.sys
> aspi4dos.sys  btcdrom.sys   ebd.cab       flashpt.sys   ramdrive.sys
> aspi8dos.sys  btdosm.sys    ebd.sys       himem.sys     readme.txt
> aspi8u2.sys   command.com   extract.exe   io.sys        setramd.bat
> aspicd.sys    config.sys    fdisk.exe     msdos.sys
> [jeff at eagle ~]$ umount /media/floppy
> [jeff at eagle ~]$ ls /media/floppy
> [jeff at eagle ~]$
>
> The line in my fstab is:
> /dev/fd0    /media/floppy   auto   pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
> --------------
> So, mounting as a regular user from the console works for me.  The
> problem for the OP may be due to his version and update status, but for
> me it has worked flawlessly since (IIRC) FC3.  I use a floppy very
> seldom, so I am not 100% sure when it became possible for the regular
> user to mount a floppy by default.
>
> I tested with/without the pamconsole option, and with it a normal user
> can mount the device.  Without it only the root user can mount the
> device.
I am seeing just what you are seeing. Obviously if you do a
mount -t auto -o .... /dev/df0 /media/floppy
it does not matter what fstab says. But since forever in Unix and
Linux when you do a mount like: mount /media/floppy
which depends on the line in fstab then a user cannot mount the floppy
unless user is in the options section of the fstab.
In says this in the man-page for fstab.

However, I have a line like yours in my fstab and I can mount
floppies. Since FC3 the floppy line is fstab has been managed by
fstab-sync. As I said try to put user in the fstab line and reboot .
You will see the user option will disappear.

Bottom line thinks have changed, They are not as they used to be. I
believe you that maybe pamconsole takes on part of the job of  user as an
option. But we have really not helped the original poster very much.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484