Newbie PPC Core 4 questions

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 21 17:31:54 UTC 2005

Adam Boettiger wrote:
> On 9/21/05 9:49 AM, "Mike McCarty" <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>In my experience, 10GB is a little bit cramped for FCx. Add very
>>many apps, and you'll start to run out of space. Especially if
>>you decide to upgrade, and start downloading ISO images, at over
>>1/2 GB each. Open Office is about a Gig all by itself.
>

> So if I have an 80G HD, I can probably afford 20G of space allocated to FC4
> I'm sure...
>
> Second question, and please do not throw eggs...
>
> If I also want to leave a partition for Yellow Dog Linux in addition to FC4,
> should the clean OS X install be done thusly:
>
> First: OS X
> Next: FC4 20 GB
> Next: FC4 swap 1 GB
> Next: LYD 10 or 20 GB (?)
> Next: LYD swap 1 GB
>
> All partitions should be extended type, non-journaled?

Depends on what you want. Partitioning Linux has as many methods
as there are users, I suppose. I'm not familiar with Yellow Dog Linux,
so I can't say. Depending on how well they work together, LYD and FCx
might be able to share the swap. Perhaps a better way to go (what I'd
do now, if I rebuilt my machine) is to put swap into a file, so it can
easily be resized.

What is your prejudice against journaled FS?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.