nvidia GEForce graphics card issue with FC4

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Sep 22 13:14:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 09:03 +0200, Klaasjan Brand wrote:

> On 9/22/05, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>         Has anyone successfully managed to get the following done?
>
>         http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Fedora_Core_4_Linux_Installation_Notes#nVidia:
>

> Installing the official nVidia drivers (which is explained on the
> referenced site) can be a bit complicated.

What do you mean complicated?
It involves 2 steps and a reboot.
1.  boot to runlevel 3 and login as root, cd to the directory where you
downloaded the NVIDIA.....run file, and run "sh NVIDIA....run" to
compile the driver.
2.  edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver from "nv" to "nvidia"
then reboot

The most complex part is you must have installed the kernel-devel
package for your kernel for this to work.

> If you just want the drivers to work, try the Livna packages by
> following the instructions at http://rpm.livna.org/livna-switcher.html

Admittedly, this is a simpler approach for the install, since you do not
even have to reboot to do the install, but you do have to still edit the
xorg.conf file and then reboot (or otherwise restart the X server) to
activate the new driver.

However, if I was using the livna rpm approach, the recent snafu with
the xorg updates would have totally blown me away with inability to use
the nvidia driver until an updated package was available from livna.
I was able to recompile using the official package ( the .run file)
install procedure and was back up immediately.