Mono and Beagle

Sean Carlos sean.carlos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 13:02:49 UTC 2005

Norman Nunn wrote:

> I have not been able to get beagle to run on an up-to-date FC4 system,
> with latest kernel.  The indexing does not work.   I have gotten mono
> and tomboy with other applications to run fine.  Web search indicates
> that an inotify enabled kernel (kernel-desktop-2.6.12-1.1398) is
> needed.  Has anyone got beagle to run without that kernel and how.
> Has anyone used that kernel with the current FC4 system.  Input would
> be appreciated before I give it a try.
>
> Thanks
> Norm

Yes, I have, but using standard FC4 (and also an FC3) kernels.  I first
ran Beagle 0.0.12 - I documented the installation & user experience here:

http://www.antezeta.com/beagle_fedora.html

I recently updated to Beagle 0.1.0, trying both the rpms from nrpms and
compiling from CVS.  While Beagle is fragile, I did get it to work by
excluding one of it's components, the indexing and retrieval of
Evolution Contacts & Calendar.  Starting beagle with:

beagled --deny-backend EvolutionDataServer

should work. Beagle will respond

"inotify_init: Function not implemented

Inotify not supported!  You need a 2.6.13 kernel or later with CONFIG_INOTIFY enabled."

But this is just a warning, not a hard error.

Inotify lets Beagle know about file changes in real-time.  You don't need to use it - Beagle will work without it.
The current development kernel has enough dependencies that you'll probably end up with more trouble
then its worth trying to install it - but I'd be happy to hear your experience.

Sean Carlos