Nut,usb and installation

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 25 04:15:11 UTC 2005

david walcroft wrote:

>>> Ok, I'll set up with MODEL=genericups, but I'm not sure what USB uses
>>> for connections <socket> <port> and how to determine the same for a
>>> config file.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all you help Markku.                                 david
>>

>> For what it's worth this is at restart in s-c-services:
>>
>> ups failed. The error was: Stopping UPS monitor: [FAILED]
>> Stopping upsd: [FAILED]
>> Shutting down genericups: [FAILED]
>> Starting genericups: Network UPS Tools - Generic UPS driver 1.30 (2.0.2)
>> [FAILED]
>> Starting upsd: Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.2
>> [FAILED]
>> Starting UPS monitor (master): [  OK  ]
>>
>>               david
>>

> Further activity,this as far as I have ventured and now I really don't
> understand what is going on:
>
> ups failed. The error was: Stopping UPS monitor: [FAILED]
> Stopping upsd: [FAILED]
> Shutting down genericups: [FAILED]
> Starting genericups: Network UPS Tools - Generic UPS driver 1.30 (2.0.2)
> [FAILED]
> Starting upsd: Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.2
> [FAILED]
> Starting UPS monitor (master): Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.1
>
> Fatal error: insufficient power configured!
>
> Sum of power values........: 0
> Minimum value (MINSUPPLIES): 1
>
> Edit your upsmon.conf and change the values.
> [FAILED]
>
> With (MINSUPLLIES): 1, upsmon.conf states
>  <powervalue> is an integer - the number of power supplies that this UPS
> # feeds on this system.  Most computers only have one power supply, so this
> # is normally set to 1.  You need a pretty big or special box to have any
> # other value here.
> #
> # You can also set this to 0 for a system that doesn't supply any power,
> # but you still want to monitor.  Use this when you want to hear about
> # changes for a given UPS without shutting down when it goes critical,
> # unless <powervalue> is 0.
> #
> # <username> and <password> must match an entry in that system's
> # upsd.users.  If your username is "monmaster" and your password is
> # "blah", the upsd.users would look like this:
> #
> #       [monmaster]
> #               password  = blah
> #               allowfrom =     (whatever applies to this host)
> #               upsmon master   (or slave)
> #
> # "master" means this system will shutdown last, allowing the slaves
> # time to shutdown first.
> #
> # "slave" means this system shuts down immediately when power goes
> critical.
> #
> # Examples:
> #
> # MONITOR myups at bigserver 1 monmaster blah master
> # MONITOR su700 at server.example.com 1 upsmon secretpass slave
> [...]
Just tried starting 'genericups'

[david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo genericups -x upstype=7 /dev/usb/ups

Network UPS Tools - Generic UPS driver 1.30 (2.0.2)
UPS type: CyberPower Power99
ioctl TIOCMSET: Invalid argument

In 'network UPS Tools driver.list' I selcted "Powerware 3110"  "DTR
cable power" "genericups upstype=7" as being most likly to run my 3105
( strange but 3105 supercedes 3110)

One day I'll get this to work :-)

      thanks david