ppp question again.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 28 14:55:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 20:49 +0700, Strong wrote:

> I want to make ppp-connection under usual user (if it's safe, for now
> it is done under root - I'm the only user on this machine)

I hope you're not running *as* root...

> i think may this can help me to kill pppd when connection fails and
> the daemon does not control the situation...
>
> So, i found in ifup-ppp the following line that generate error 36:
> exec /sbin/ppp-watch "${CONFIG##ifcfg-}" "$2"
> as I start it simply by typing:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-mf_gprs

If you want to use command lines to go on- and off-line, do it like
this:

/sbin/ifup ppp0
/sbin/ifup ppp0

Much simpler, and I'm not sure if you're calling scripts that are meant
to be used directly, but those command lines are what I see being used
elsewhere as *a* proper way to take an interface on- or off-line.

> So want to ask You, how make it done: to make user able to make
> ppp-connection?

If you set up via "neat" (that's the program name for a GUI tool for
configuring networks), there's an option to allow any user to bring the
interface on- or off-line.  It sets a USERCTL=yes parameter into the
appropriate network configuration scripts, which I see replicated in at
least three places:

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-pp0
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-pp0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-pp0

I don't know which are used by what.

I read messages from the public lists.