how do you make the keyboard shortcuts work? (FC4)

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 21:20:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:12:28 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try as I might, I can't get any of the keyboard shortcuts to work that I
> program into the "keyboard shortcuts" preferences Gnome GUI tool.  I can
> do something like change the print screen shortcut to also require the
> shift key to be pressed, but if I wanted to add a shortcut for something
> to open the web browser, for instance, nothing happens.  Same goes for
> things like volume controls, log out, etc.  Is there some trick to this?
>
> I can see it accepting the keys, so the keyboard does actually do
> something when I press the keys I've picked (extra function keys on a
> fancy keyboard).  For example, I've tried the following, ineffectually:
>
> Launch help browser <Shift><Control>w  (original setting, but does nothing)
> Log out 0xdf (does nothing)
> Lock screen <Control>Break (does nothing)
> Search 0xe5 (does nothing)
> E-mail 0xec (does nothing)
> Launch web browser 0xb2 (does nothing)
> ... panel run app ... <Alt>F2 (this works)
> Show panel menu <Alt>F1 (this works)
> Take screenshot <Shift>Print (this works)
> Run a terminal 0xeb (does nothing)
>
> and so on...  Trying common keyboard keys, like control with F keys
> doesn't work, for the above ones I've tried the extra special keys,
> either.

I tried some of the commands you mentioned with keyboard shortcuts and they work
for me. Of course these only work for the keyboard activities that are available
in the menu. You click on the entry, then enter the key combination you want, and
it works. This is for the keyboard shortcuts from the Desktop preferences keyboard selection. If you want to use your own activity for example a keyboard
shortcut for the eject command you have to select from the applications system tools configuration editor gui application. Select apps metacity global_keybindings to enter the shortcut then from the keyboard-commands selection enter the actual command to launch (ie eject).

Hope this helps.

--
Richard Miles
Federal Way WA. USA