OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 21:56:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 15:22, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Why should I follow around after OO when I can just boot Windows in
> about a minute and a half, and be assured that the doc is ok? If OO
> knows there is a problem, then it should tell me. If there is no
> problem, it shouldn't frighten me. If it doesn't know, then why should
> I use it?

If you don't save it in a portable format yourself, you are
participating in forcing others to join the same proprietary
lock-in.  Its a battle you can't win every time and not worth
fighting if you don't have a chance of winning.  But, now that
an open standard exists the chances of winning sometimes just
got better.  There is no way that OO can guarantee that everything
will be correct when saved to a format that had to be reverse
engineered and is in fact not consistent across the proprietary
programs using it.  Remember that when you play the game, you
don't just boot windows and run word, you have to run approximately
the same versions as all the other players.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com