OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 30 01:37:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 17:53 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Perhaps you are right. The only distinction between the crap
> MS puts out and OO is that OO is open source crap. :-)
>
> [take that as a very BIG smiley!]
----
considering that I think their target was a drop-in replacement for
Microsoft Office, they saw the methods Word used and duplicated it
(along with warnings for saving files in foreign document formats).
Perhaps they didn't set their goals high enough, I don't know.

The thing that strikes me is that this is open source, and participation
in the decisions is entirely possible, in many different ways, one of
the less effective way being a mailing list. But consider that a user is
part of the community that drives the programming decisions.

In the topic itself, this is the user community (in the case, the state
of Massachusetts) trying to drive the document format - pretty much the
same thing.

Craig

believed to be clean.