Fetchmail problems

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Aug 1 06:37:35 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> From time to time I get fetchmail problems, and don't understand what the
> error messages are telling me:
>
> fetchmail -a
> fetchmail: socket error while fetching from pop3.tiscali.co.uk
> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
>
> Frequently this is followed by:
>
> fetchmail: another foreground fetchmail is running at 18351.
>
> Is this a Tiscali problem, or is there something I can do about it?

How are you running fetchmail? From cron? If so, how often?

The last error message sounds as though you're trying to run one
fetchmail before the previous one has finished. It took me seven minutes
today to download all my email, over a 1 Mb/s link to an Athlon 64 3200.

Can you add -vv to your fetchmail command line for a bit, so you get
more logging output? That might help you spot the problem.

James.
--
New address: james  | "In these troubled times, it's always refreshing to see
@aprilcottage.co.uk | a major company concentrating on vital issues. It would