Sound on Acer Aspire ZWLMi notebook

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Aug 3 21:35:31 UTC 2006

On Thursday 03 August 2006 18:57, JeeBee wrote:
<humongeous snip>

Hi JeeBee. I,ve just posted your problem to the Alsa-user list, and the news
is perhaps not good. The main problem is that many laptop's soundcards are
basically crappy, and if you're going to use your laptop for serious audio
work, it's probably best to get, either a USB soundcard, or a pcmcia one.

Anyway. This is what Lee Revell posted back to me.

My comment.

> The hda-intel driver is supported according to the sound card matrix, but
are
> there any odd problems with it? And why should the master volume control be
> missing from Alsamixer.
Lee's reply.

There's really no telling.  It's misleading to say "snd-hda-intel is
supported" because every single laptop and motherboard with
snd-hda-intel is slightly different and there's absolutely no
documentation on what the differences are.  Possibly the hardware is
oncorrectly detected.  It's also possible that these devices simply have
no hardware master volume and Windows emulates it in software.

All these users can do for now is search for information about their
machine in the ALSA bug tracker and hope it gets fixed someday.  (They
can also try the various model options for their codec described in
Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt).

Lee

And a further post from Lee.

My posting of your amixer output.

Since you only seem to have 2 channels, doesn't "Front" work as a
master?

Lee.

Sorry that I couldn't bring you any good news.

Nigel.