checking security of dns server..

Gregory Machin gregory.machin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:24:50 UTC 2006

Could you please advise me on this fail I got when I ran the test

*Stealth NS record leakage*

Your DNS servers leak stealth information in non-NS requests:

Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns2.XXXserv.co.za.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns1.XXXserv.co.za.]!

This can cause some serious problems (especially if there is a TTL
discrepancy). If you must have stealth NS records (NS records listed at the
authoritative DNS servers, but not the parent DNS servers), you should make
sure that your DNS server does not leak the stealth NS records in response
to other queries.

On 8/4/06, Mike <mike at atn-networks.nl> wrote:

>  Gregory Machin schreef:
>
> Hi
> I'm looking for advice on what tools to use to test my dns server ..
> It is the first time I have configured split dns and dynamic dns updating
> on the same server ...
> Many Thanks
> ---
> Gregory Machin
> gregory.machin at gmail.com
> www.linuxpro.co.za
>
> Hey Gregory,
>
> This site helped me a lot with DNS server settings, maybe it will help you
> 2
> http://www.dnsreport.com/
>
> Mike
>
> --