local dns problem

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Aug 4 14:56:54 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> Greetings; My local home network runs with most of its machines having
> fixed addresses, referenced in their host files. But I do have a dhcp
> server setup for when ever my lappy is powered up and logs in thru a
> wap11 from its builtin broadcom radio. How can I rig my dns lookups so
> that I can still ssh into this lappy by its name, diablo.coyote.den
> when its given a dynamic address by dhcpd? As it is, I have to goto
> the lappy and run an ifconfig to find its address and ssh to that.
> Cumbersome.

You'll need to allow DNS updates from your local network (not the
world).  You do this by allowing updates in named.conf only from
"trusted" subnets.  On my server this looks like:

zone "local.davenjudy.org" IN {
        type master;
        file "local.davenjudy.org";
        allow-query {
                trusted;
        };
        allow-update {
                trusted;
        };
};

I also remember having to "play with" the permissions and ownership for
the forward and reverse zone files for my local network in order for
this to work.  If you need a full example of named.conf, let me know by
private e-mail.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce