question about files

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Aug 4 22:36:39 UTC 2006

Ronald Warsow schrieb:

>hello Alexander
>
>thx 4 support !
>
>router: AVM Fritzbox

AVM sells a lot of different models. I have a 7170 and it is Linux based :)

>filesystem.image:
>Squashfs filesystem should be mountable in some way.
>
>the more interesting file is
>kernel.image
>
>for me it is not clear if it is a kind of archive.

Sorry? The kernel file on Fedora is called vmlinuz.

>the internet says: these files should run in an MIPS-Emulator like QEMU or openwrt.

AVM routers have ar7 CPUs. You mix things with QEMU and Openwrt. Openwrt
is an alternate firmware for such litte boxes.

http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/AR7

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

>i'll try tomorrow...
>my "batteries" are empty for today !
>
>ronald

If you are able to understand German, then

http://www.wehavemorefun.de/fritzbox/Main_Page

is very useful for you. One of the German Red Hat guys has some more
links gathered

http://www.jur-linux.org/wiki/FritzBox

I had a Siemens WLAN router which came with a Linux on it. I replaced
its firmware with Openwrt - a really nice project, to enhance these
little systems with additional functions and software you may know from
i.e. Fedora. I had a MIPS cross-compiling buildsys to package a few
software.

Don't know what your intention is. I decided to keep the AVM firmware
(the Linux system) as it is, because other than my Siemens WLAN router
it is easy possible to access it by telnet or ssh without much
modifications. http://www.wehavemorefun.de/fritzbox/Main_Page has the
necessary tips.

Alexander