gnome-mount crashes when data DVD inserted

Brian Chadwick brianchad at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 7 06:47:40 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:25 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
>
>> Hi ll
>>
>> I have this problem where when I insert a data dvd into my dvd-rom,
>> gnome-mount crashes and reports an "unexpected error." (By the way ..
>> using FC5). Inserting a data CD instead, works as expected... its only
>> data DVD's. (all in the same DVD-ROM)
>>
>> I have logged a bug report with fedora.redhat but nothing seems to have
>> been done with it ...
>>
>> So I am wondering...do some of you out there have no problem when data
>> dvd's are mounted by gnome-mount, or do you all experience the problem
>> ... i am wondering whether this is somehow to do with hardware.
>>
>> Interestuingly, manually mounting the dvd using "mount -t iso9660
>> /dev........" etc works perfectly ... so its sseem something to do with
>> gnome's hardware abstraction layer, gnome-vfs or gnome-mount.
>>
>> Further, the gnome-live-disk works flawlessly also ... so its clearly
>> something to do with fedora's implementation, since the orginial gnome
>> is ok with it ... also ubuntu works fine too.
>>
>> Any feedback please?
>>
>> Cheers and Beers
>>

> Is it perhaps on an SATA controller?? Using the mount command are you
> using something like mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda2 /media/name and does it
> work? If so, is your system calling it /dev/hda2?? instead and then it
> craps out with a can't locate device error? That's been my rant and
> problem.

no its on an ATAPI-IDE controller. the manual mount is "mount -t iso9660
/dev/hdd  /media/dvd" .. no probs at all

thing is ... if I insert a data CD ... it gnome-mounts perfectly ... if
i put in a data DVD ... it crashes ..... same physical device ... only
difference is a CD or a DVD disc

the gnome-mount error is "a unexpected error occured with gnome-mount"
with options to restart gnome-mount or not.