Linux RAID and bad sectors

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Tue Aug 8 22:57:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:

> Hi,
> anyone knows if the kernel in FC5 or FC6 have/will have support
> for hard disks with bad sectors in a Linux software raid setup?
>
> Is there that kind of feature? Maybe with a patch?
>
> I have 2 disk with 2 bad sectors each and I can no longer use
> them for raid1 :(

What brand and type (IDE, SCSI)? You can usually map out bad sectors using
the low level 'zeroing' utility provided by the drive manufacturer. I've
done this several times before with both Maxtor and IBM IDE drives. Pretty
much all manufacturers have free downloadable utilities for doing it now.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
 for a prediction and keeping track of one’s past record of accuracy."
                    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness