Changing Host name help please

Jack Gates jlgates at charter.net
Wed Aug 9 19:18:12 UTC 2006

This is from my /etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain

What is the proper way to change this file so that:
localhost.localdomain is replaced with something more useful for
identification of my FC5 box on my network?

Can I just edit this file or is there another location to do this and
are there any other files that need to change?

What other information can go in the /etc/hosts file?

I have tried changing this before but the OS complains when I boot.
It says something like unknown host name or can't determine the host
name.  so I have left this alone.  It looks like I will need to
change it so I can hopefully get my printer set up for my wife's Win
XP box to use.

Thanks,

--
Jack Gates http://www.morningstarcom.net/