(no subject)

Erich Carlson computerperceptions at coxinet.net
Fri Aug 11 19:41:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 20:36 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I was wondering what Fedora would run great on an IBM POS machine with
> > a Cyrix 166 and 32mb of memory.
>
> In theory, you should be able to get FC5 to run on that. That said, in
> theory WinXP will run on a top end 486, but neither is gonna happen.
> Really speaking, you may get FC2 to run on that, but you'd be better off
> with something like slackware
>
> > I am looking on running a Java Application.  Any help you can switch
> > my way would be great.

You could get FC5 to install, but not in graphical mode, and doubtful X
would work very well, so inittab mode 3, will take a long time to
install on that slow a processor and that small amount of memory, might
be good as a print server, I'd suggest making the swap file really big,
like 1 gig, as it will be swapping like crazy

erich