[OT} chilli wasRe: For sale

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 01:59:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 18:32 -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "Ric Moore" <wayward4now at gmail.com> to Patrick W. Barnes
>
> > Oh yeah, you being a Texan (just a stone's throw from being an Okie, but
> > I won't dare call you that!), you forgot cilantro in your chili recipe!
> > Gotta have a pinch, according to my perspectives. I lived in Odessa and
> > Houston for about 10 years. To me and my tastes, that is the secret!
> > Give it a try. See if your eyes don't light up and your tummy say
> > "HOWDY!" or as one of my less-than-couth friends from Odessa would say
> > with his West Texas Drawl, "It taste's so good, it'll make your tongue
> > hard." <grins> Ric
>
> Ric, you and I might agree with that. But I understand there are a
> fair number of men for whom cilantro is intolerably bitter. For them
> the recipe without cilantro would be a good thing. Maybe Patrick is
> one of these unfortunates. He tells me that he hates going to Mexican
> restaraunts because of that. His wife loves it. So he simply has a
> plain old hamburger to escape the cilantro. (He is of Mexican heritage,
> too. Pity him!)

God, I am aghast! Cilantro has recently been found to prevent botulism,
which way down south in the scorching heat is a good thing. Like I said,
just a teeny tiny pinch. I would agree that any more than that would
over power the dish and the palate as well. Just enough to season and
kill the micro-organisms. Certainly he could have the Pollo Loco instead
of a hamburger? Maybe we should hear from the condemned?

60 miles north of where he is, in Oklahoma chili is eaten without
cilantro. 'nuff said. <chuckles> Ric (former Texan)
...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/