best video card for use with open source drivers?

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 15 15:44:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 08:47 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> > OK, I've been following the kernel-module-packaging threads on the
> > various lists, and it's clear that Fedora developers are very
> > uninterested in supporting kernel modules, and have no respect for
> > people who use them :-)
> >
> > So... does anyone have suggestions for the "best" AGP video card /
> > driver combo for 3D gaming (say torcs, for sake of argument), if you're
> > restricted to the open source drivers?
> >
> > Intel's newly-free drivers don't count, because you have to buy a whole
> > new computer (no plug-in cards)...
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >

> > - Mike
> >

> I have had success with the nv driver that comes with xorg and nVidia
> cards.  On my machine there is little difference with glxgears between
> the nv driver and the nVidia module from lvina.
>
> I am looking at getting a new nVidia car while I can still get a AGP
> card.  Just waiting for them to go on sale again.

Of late, I've been having trouble with the nVidia cards - alteas with
the Livna drivers. My system was just freezing for no apparent reason.
Even when it wasn't freezing up, I would get weird things happening on
the screen (distortions, strange blinking, etc.), so it's also possible
I am just having hardware issues with my card. It's an older AGP GeForce
5200MX.

I just updated to the latest kernel and am using the regular drivers
instead for now. So far, so good, but we'll see. There is definitely a
performance difference between the xorg and nVidia drivers though from
what I am able to see. It shows up most vividly in games like Foo
Billiard and PP Racer. They're basically useless running on the xorg
driver.

Since I may have to replace a video card anyway, I'm curious about
people's experiences with the ATI cards. Is it worth the switch?

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Never murder a man when he's