SMP Kernel on non-SMP Machine

W Strater wstrater at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 19:51:38 UTC 2006

I just installed FC5 on a Pentium 4 based machine and ended up with a 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp kernel. I ran `yum update` and was upgraded to 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp. The problem is that my motherboard, Intel D865PERL, is a single CPU motherboard and my Intel CPU P4 2.8 pre-dates any dual core technologies. The /proc/cpuinfo did list two CPU's.

Probably irrelevant but worth mentioning. I installed FC5 on the first partition of a second hard drive of a dual boot machine and boot off of a CD.

As a side note, FC5 was installed on 2 Core Duo machines at work. The first machine has a lame core, confirmed by Redmont, and has a 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 kernel. The second machine has two functioning cores and has a 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp kernel. The /proc/cpuinfo of the second machines lists 2 single core CPUs not 1 dual core CPU.

Wes.